Monday, July 23, 2012

Stillwater As Follows Beer Review

For tonight's beer review, I'll be checking out As Follows from Stillwater Artisanal Ales based out of Baltimore, MD. Big thanks must go to the beer department at The Party Source in Bellevue, KY and especially their beer buyer Danny Gold for having recently begun carrying Stillwater beers. I've had a number of their offerings and I think they're all phenomenal. To have them in my backyard is a real treat, so thanks again guys. There were a couple of beers among the Stillwater offerings at Party Source that I hadn't had and As Follows was one of them so it seemed like a perfect time to review a beer that sounded like it would be right up my alley.

As I mentioned in my review of Stillwater/Hof ten Dormaal's Bronze Age, Stillwater specializes in Belgian styles and As Follows is no exception. For more on Stillwater, check out my aforementioned review of Bronze Age. As Follows is a Belgian Strong Golden Ale, aka Belgian Strong Pale Ale. I reviewed another beer in this style when I reviewed Sierra Nevada's Ovila Belgian Golden so if you'd like to learn a bit more about the style, please check there. As Follows caught my eye not only because it's from one of my favorite up-and-coming breweries doing a style I really dig, but because I think they added a twist to the tried and true Belgian Strong Golden Ale formula. They tout the beer as being "big, bold, hoppy, and gold." It's that magical word 'hoppy' that makes my ears perk up. A hoppy Belgian Strong Golden Ale, you say? Well, I guess I'll have to drink that one, I say! This potential addition of some big juicy hops is just the sort of thing that might send this beer over the edge. I've had hoppy Belgian goldens in the past (though it's been a while) and a couple have been transcendent. I'm hoping for that same experience here, but I won't know for sure til my nose is in the glass. Oh, I'm bubbling with excitement already! Stillwater additionally bills the beer as being, "an eschatological ale. . . built sturdy enough to withstand the apocalypse." This is all the more description I need to be eagerly anticipating this beer before I even cradle it gently in my trunk for the trip home. Let's get down to business.

The bottle is simply exquisite. I adore Stillwater's bottle presentation and As Follows stands tall among its peers. A very fine foil, like what one might expect on a good bottle of wine, conceals the bottle cap underneath on this 750ml bottle. The label art is, as with the rest of their beers, really intriguing. Being an eschatological ale, the label features the sort of retro doom-and-gloom, fire and brimstone artwork that immediately calls to mind Dante or John Milton. This evocative art really complements the whole experience. More brewers would do well to take a page out of Stillwater's book here. As I pour into my Libbey Poco Grande glass, I have to rein in my usual hearty pour because this beer is a frothy monster. A gigantic, three or more fingers of dense, creamy, mousse-like head fills my glass to the brim. After a couple minutes, the head that just won't quit has settled down into a quarter inch of iron-willed persistence. The head itself is a vibrant white. As the head settles, I'm able to appreciate the beer itself. It is a cloudy deep straw to hay in color. Lacing on the glass from the huge head is outrageous. Appearance: 15/15




Sticking my nose in the glass confirms the abundant presence of what I'd been hoping for - hops! I love hops almost as much as I love Belgian ales so this is perfect for me. Big, citrusy American hops dominate. Orange, tangerine, pineapple. I can also smell plenty of bready yeast notes and some spice in there as well. The spice smells almost peppery, but I'm unsure right now. All in all, this beer smells great. I get a few band-aid type phenols in there, but nothing too apparent. Nose: 24/25


Mmm, this beer tastes really good! On the palate, the hops are very apparent. While they're not as fresh as I'd like them to be (like, a hop addition yesterday), I know the freshness of the hops isn't the brewer's fault by the time it makes it to retail shelves so I won't hold it against them. The hops are only ever so slightly faded, revealing some traces of bitter astringency. But again, nothing too off-putting. The hops still complement the other flavors here quite well: Fruity yeast esters like banana and a touch of peach, distinctive spiciness that almost defines the beer. The more I drink it, the more I'm thinking the spice is a cross between black pepper and cloves. I also detect traces of bubblegum hiding in there. Palate: 48/50


The mouthfeel is superb. It is at once creamy and bubbly. The bodacious CO2 is ever present here. A body that sits comfortably on the higher end of medium coupled with ample carbonation make this 9% abv beer dangerously drinkable. As I sit here, I realize just how little is left in my glass or the bottle. They did a really great job with the body and texture here. Mouthfeel: 10/10


OVERALL: 97/100


I was fairly certain I would like this beer from the moment I found it waiting for me on the shelf. It is a beer that pays attention to details and rewards those able to see them. Is it the best Belgian Strong Golden Ale I've ever had? I don't think so, but that doesn't mean it isn't one heck of a beer that is fruity and drinkable enough for hot summer nights but complex and rich enough for wintertime nightcaps. This versatility will also translate well into an assortment of foods. Please, pair this beer with salads, breads, cheeses, chicken, fish, wild game, and fatty entrees that need a little hefty carbonation to cut the richness. I also wouldn't mind putting this beer with some desserts that include bread pudding and angel food cake. Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment