Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Trappistes Rochefort 10 Beer Review

I am long overdue for this beer review. Tonight I'll be examining a true titan of the world of great beer, a beer so spectacular that it has accomplished that rarest of feats, unifying the otherwise overtly opinionated world of craft beer lovers in near-universal adoration. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Trappistes Rochefort 10. 

The entire Rochefort lineup consists of only three beers, simply named the 6, 8, and 10. These numbers are in reference to the mostly outdated Degrees Balling system that used to be the near universal standard for measuring a beer's gravity in Europe. Gravity, as applies to beer and various other beverages, is a method of measuring the sugar content in a solution. With beer in particular, a hydrometer can be used to measure a beer's gravity prior to fermentation (called Original Gravity) and its gravity after fermentation (called Final Gravity). The difference between the two roughly indicates the success of the fermentation and should offer some broad notions of how strong the finished beer will be. Rochefort's beers would've measured 1.06, 1.08, and 1.10 Degrees Balling, respectively, thus giving them their names. The higher the gravity, the more potent the beer. Rochefort 10 is their top product. Degrees Balling has been largely eclipsed in the beer world by Degrees Plato, though the concept is the same. Also remember that many Belgian breweries use a similar system of enumeration to identify their beers.

Rochefort is unique in that it is a Trappist brewery, meaning that the beers are brewed by monks of the Cistercian Order. In order to qualify as an Authentic Trappist Product, a beer must be brewed on monastery grounds by the monks themselves. There are only seven Trappist breweries on Earth. Six are in Belgium: Rochefort, Achel, Orval, Westmalle, Chimay, and Westvleteren. The seventh is Koenigshoeven, located in Holland. In the case of Rochefort, the monks live and brew their beer at the Abbaye Notre Dame de Saint-Remy, outside the town of Rochefort in southeastern Belgium, about 50 miles from the French border. The handful of Trappist breweries only produce a limited range of beers (Orval produces just a single beer for the public) and they are further distinguished by not responding to market demand for their beer. They simply brew enough to support themselves and some charitable causes. They operate as nonprofit entities. Their beers are typically highly regarded and carry a reputation for excellence. Chimay is the largest producer among them, while Westvleteren is so tiny it only sells beer directly from the monastery and never in bulk.

Rochefort 10 will frequently be referred to as a Quadrupel or an Abt. I reject these terms, however, as they appear to be somewhat nonexistent in Belgium. In Belgium, the term "Quadrupel" actually refers to a specific beer produced by Koenigshoeven rather than an entire style. While folks who use the term Quadrupel will argue a stylistic difference between quads and Belgian Strong Dark Ales, I can find no substantive differences and thus defer to the more encompassing Belgian Strong Dark Ale appellation. Belgian Strong Dark Ales (henceforth BSDAs) are a favorite style of mine, though I find I have more favorite styles than non-favorites. BSDAs are robust ales featuring decadent notes of dark fruit and spicy peppery phenols. Fruity ester flavors are present as well. One can also expect sweet flavors of caramel and biscuit, making for an indulgent, complex beer more than worthy of one's total attention. The beer itself will usually present as dark amber to deep brown in color with a tan head. The style is very high in alcohol, often in the double digits, and makes an excellent candidate for aging for the foreseeable future. Rochefort 10 is 11.3% abv. With that, let us embark on this tasty journey.

The beer is presented in a 330ml (11.2oz) bottle, its lone format. No large bottles and certainly no kegs. The label is simple and rustic, almost an anachronism. It hearkens back to when the monks at the Abbey first started making beer in 1595. The pour reveals a deep copper to brownish, almost mahogany colored beer topped off by a half inch beige head that drops back to a thick ring around the edge with plenty of wispy carbonation along the surface. The beer is remarkable for its haze. I remember thinking the first time I had this beer that it was the murkiest beer I could imagine, and it still is. There's even a fair bit of sediment suspended in the beer, yeast and maybe some proteins too. The beer might looks strange to the uninitiated, but for those of us who have seen the light, a murky Rochefort means we're home. Appearance: 15/15

 
Putting the glass to my nose makes me smile reflexively, the sort of smile you get when you wrap a warm blanket around you on a cold night. There is enough going on in the nose to keep me busy all night. Toast, caramel, plums, raisins, cherries, candied pecans, bread pudding, rum, molasses, figs, pepper. Despite this slew of aromas that are as apparent as can be, none overwhelm the others. They are a symphony that somehow manages to allow each note to shine in turn. This is the magic of a truly great beer. Nose: 25/25

Oh. my. word. That's a great beer. To call it a beer seems inadequate - a tribute to the master brewer's art, perhaps? Every aspect of the nose is beautifully recreated on my tongue. While the order in which I experience them has changed from order of the nose, that magical balance is still there. Tasting the transitions  across my tongue and down my throat truly make me sit back in awe. I could never hope to brew a beer like this. I am initially met by spice, then dark and sweet fruit, chased by rum, molasses, and bread pudding. Upon further tastes, I find caramel and toast accompanying the spice at the fore. The beer finishes with a kick of fruit and a drying spice that makes it awfully hard to put this beer down. I can find no flaws here. Palate: 50/50

If the rest of my review were any indication, the mouthfeel is a homerun. It is full and rich, with enough carbonation to assist the beautiful balance of flavors. The mouthfeel and extraordinary balance actually serve to make this very complex, high alcohol beer quite drinkable. Truly a feat of brewing. Mouthfeel: 10/10

OVERALL: 100/100

There were a few beers on my short list of beers that might be my first perfect rating. I wasn't sure which would be first, but I can think of no better beer to take that spot. Truly a magnificent creation worthy of its unbelievably strong reputation. This beer is great. What impresses me is that I enjoyed this very complex beer as a relative novice several years ago. Wandering around Ratebeer's website, I came across this beer with so many stellar reviews and knew I had to try it. Most beers that are this complex would've overwhelmed my young, inexperienced taste buds, but Rochefort 10 did not. Thus, I can thoroughly recommend it to any beer drinker, novice or veteran. While I typically qualify a beer in this lofty price range ($6-7/bottle), this beer needs no qualification to justify its purchase. You need to go out and buy this beer. Heck, buy two. Drink one now and save one for down the road. And remember, if you're looking for a special occasion, the day you open this beer is the special occasion. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. My local beverage mart told me this a discontinued item! He may have meant that he was no longer stocking it. Please tell me I can still obtain this favorite,even by mail order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's still being made. My local bottle shop stocks it (in Leicester, UK).

      Delete